Sunday, March 14, 2010

Hordes Out West or "HOW"

The new project of the day is to create a Hordes of the Things army with figures from my 54mm American Indian Wars collection. The variety of armies I have available is very diverse and made for an interesting evening of positioning and inventorying the miniatures into the rules set versions of 24 point armies. I made three armies for the US Western Army. All three had 6 stands of US army infantry/shooters (12 ap), 3 stands of mounted cavalry/Kn (6ap), and then 2 artillery pieces a gattling gun and a field piece (6ap).
The Western plains Indians were a blast to assemble. Lots of hordes armies capable and a full army of riders was easy. So much variety that it would be tedious to retype the permutations.

Tried out a game today with my son Tony. He played US and took my base army and swapped out the mounted cavalry for another infantry stand and "The Great White Father" GOD (4 ap) in the figure of Abraham Lincoln!
Pictures will complete the afternoon of gaming and fun.
When a Hero confronts a God in the old West!


The armies are built and set up across a small stream near a built up area represted by an Indian village.







I think HOtT will allow for so much creativity and the ability to make complete projects. Somethng nice about having a do-able project. The reason the figures are unpainted is because the task always seemed so un-do-able and too much work to make happen. With Hordes Out West, I think I will paint at least two armies - one for each side and then maybe branch out and paint more of the options for the game.
Thanks for checking this post out and have a great hobby day!

4 comments:

  1. Where did you find those Giant of HOng Kong Indians???
    I've been trying to get some more of their Mongols and Ancients for years!
    :)
    A

    ReplyDelete
  2. They are Hing Fat and I have had them for a very long time. I also have skads of the Mongols and Knights. I think our local dollar store carried them one summer maybe 8-10 years ago?
    Thanks for the visit.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Enjoy some HoTT gaming with your son.


    -- Jeff

    ReplyDelete
  4. The beauty of HotT is not so much the game system but the creativity and imagination it allows in building up armies. A well known gamer in this part of the world uses an army very reminiscent of the old Space 1889 game system (Armies of the Queen); and I have seriously consered building a HotT army based on Baron von Richtofen's flying circus. I've been told his Fokker triplane wasn't all red, but of course my flying hero's would be... Another friend thought a garden gnome army would be pretty cool. The deity would by a butterfly on the wall...

    Wonderful stuff!

    ReplyDelete